Monday, October 18, 2010

Boardwalk Billy's

Finally, I didn't want to go running and screaming from my entree! Mostly because this place WASN'T a chain, they had what I call food, and my wallet didn't need a shock from the AED paddles when the check came. (Full disclosure: I have been here before and didn't write a review)

John Boy &  Billy's Grillin' Sauce (Hot & Spicy)


Oh my goodness, what are those pictured above? Only the best chicken wings I have ever eaten. And that white stuff that comes on the side? Boardwalk Billy's homemade blue cheese, and it is unreal. The atmosphere is what you would expect from a bar/restaurant in the University area of Charlotte. But, with a smattering of different college football games on their LED TVs, a tasty Sam Adams Octoberfest in hand and great BBQ one could not ask for more.

These ribs would make any true Southerner blush.
What did I like?   Okay, I grew up in Syracuse, NY, home of the world famous Dinosaur BBQ- Known for BBQ and beer. But, after years of commercializing and downsizing portions they are not even a shadow of what they once where. Billy's was able to re-charge my belief that BBQ restaurants can give big portions at good prices. Our waiter, Brad, was very reliable and was able to build a good rapport with us. The wings were crispy, had a lot of meat on the bone, and the sauce- John Boy & Billy's Grillin' Sauce (Hot & Spicy)- was great. The sauce has a great mix of spice, sweet and a taste of its own. I love ribs. I am picky about how they taste and how they are presented... no worries here. These ribs would make any true Southerner blush. The meat, which there was a lot of, fell right off the bone. The sauce wasn't over powering but a mere perfect glazing on great rib meat. And if it matters, their homemade fries are great!

It's all gone! OH NO!
What would I change? First, I may have to start taking pictures with a real camera and not a low-def cell phone, rookie mistake, you hate to see it. It's going to seem petty but their coleslaw left something to be desired. I know I am from NY where the slaw is mayonnaise bases (blah) and Southern slaw is vinegar based (eh). But, I like to see a good mix between the two, this was more like cabbage in a water bath. And because I am being honest, I know this isn't a true-to-life sports bar BUT their TV placement wasn't the greatest. It could have been from I was sitting, who knows. Lastly, this is carry over from last time. Billy's BBQ pork... not a fan. It did not match up with their A+ ribs/wings/sides. It was odd to see such a drop in quality from A-to-D. Okay, nothing else bad to say!

Recommendation? If you want solid, no, great BBQ at okay prices this is a must. Their ribs are great. Their wings are great. They have a good selection of mixed drinks (for the ladies) at reasonable prices. And a wide selection of tequila! They have great versatility; meaning you can go for a few drinks, watch the game and chomp on a few wings... you can go there and have a huge sit-down meal (with homemade dessert shooters [get the chocolate mousse]) ... or you can have a great 'drinky' night out with friends. Choose your poison, you can't lose! The worst part? When you go: "It's all gone! OH NO!"

Boardwalk Billy's Charlotte site: Boardwalk Billy's at University 

No comments:

Post a Comment