Monday, January 24, 2011

Rock Bottom Restaurant

Alright, I am usually not a critical person (uncontrollable laughter) so this review shouldn't be too harsh. Firstly, I was not aware this was a chain til I heard the dreaded phrase "at this one" which means 'more than one' which means the company sacrifices Quantity over Quality. However, Rock Bottom was able to hide the fact that they were a chain rather well OTHER than the atypical layout of the place that looked like cookie-cutter restaurant chain layout, I digress. Now, I went with a group of 12 so one would think I could not place judgment on the check... wrong. The waiter was nice enough to split it up so we can get a nice laugh about the cost of eating at this dinning establishment. (Side note: I may have been in four or five highballs at this point so my judgment maybe a tad skewed...)      

A regular at this place SHOULD be able to guide us to a successful dinning experience
 
Now I am all for mood lighting or 'dark Italian restaurant trip over a chair lighting' but I just think Rock Bottom did not turn on anything but their emergency flood lights. (Wow, am I getting that old that lighting is throwing me off now?) But, RB's 'claim to fame' is their beers. I love beer! Who doesn't? But, I made a mistake [yes I admitted to one] I opted for their "Stingin' Brits I.P.A" which I thought would taste like Syracuse SPA (SYR Beer). Now Middle Ages brewing company makes a IPA and a Pale Ale and I guess the labels look the same? I have no idea. Either way the RB IPA was rough and I like my beers hearty. I may just get their Southern Flyer Light Lager (-10 man points.) Here is a link to a PDF of their available beers Rock Bottom Charlotte Beer List.
Well, you win this round Stingin' Brits I.P.A
What did I like? No need for cocktails or appetizers here just jump into your actual generous main course portions. I got ribs ($20.99) which the ribs themselves were rubbed with sweet magnolia rub. It was a very different approach to ribs in NC. Most of the time the ribs are grilled to a nice char than doused in lop sauce (a vinegar based sauce) and served juicy. This was a different take with the layers of rub and char that was very good. However, it seemed that at one point all I could taste was the rub and the meat was a small side note (sigh.) Now, I can't remember our waiters' name (oops) but his service kept me from whipping out my Gateway laptop (yes Gateway) and start writing away. He was able to keep up with 12 sauced 20'somethings and then after all the little orders and countless entrees he still asked if we'd like separate checks. Amazing.

I mean... I still ate them all...
What would I change? Something that I have learned is that if you go to ANY restaurant and you are VERY hungry anything will go down easy, no matter how much you detest Denny's (gross.) Yes, this place wasn't even a glimmer of that manic depression diner but I went in hungry [and buzzed] which leads to weird food choices and monster appetites. Okay, my ribs, lets get down to brass tacks [does anyone even use that expression anymore?] What did it come with? Fries, I think. These over cooked and cold potato sticks would even make the Burger King cry. Well, what about the slaw? Eh. I got excited because it didn't come in a plastic bowl but it tasted like nothing. I could catch a hint of anything in there. And the ribs. At 20 bucks the amount of ribs was impressive. But, there was SO MUCH RUB I couldn't taste the meat and what a rookie mistake to get ribs at a place that doesn't wreak of BBQ smoke and burning wood. And I saw the 'burgers' which even the Red Robin wouldn't take a peck at. AND when all is said and done I was still hungry (gross again.)

Recommendation? I would like to think that if I went back I would get something else. But, that would require me to go back again. One thing always gets you is the 'nice chain' that blind you with the gilded environment and then hit you with a monster bill and a unsatisfied palate. I think at $40 a shot anyone would go broke here. But, oddly enough I did have a lot of fun there but they may have been to great company, a volley of assorted shots and not having to work early the next day... So, for the average person this maybe what you want, maybe you want par American food with a higher (unwarranted) price tag then yeah, "do it up!" But, for most this is a hop-skip-and-jump that you really shouldn't take.

A link to their main website index: http://www.rockbottomsouth.com/index.php?pg=food                

No comments:

Post a Comment